Looking Forward To A New EMR? – What Will Happen To The Old One?
With new EMR system implementations at an all time high, hospitals are left with old systems that often contain years of patient and financial information that must be retained for future use. Whether complying with orders for release of information or searching for a historical patient document, locating information can be costly and time consuming for several reasons:
- Employee expertise diminishes a little every day the old system is not used
- New employees that are tasked with finding old patient data must be trained on old systems
- Maintaining vendor support fees for applications and equipment is an ongoing expense
- Patient information stored in multiple outdated applications is cumbersome to locate and compile
Atlanticon can help with the decommission process by extracting information and assisting with long-term storage solutions.
Data Repository Solutions
Atlanticon can assist with retrieving patient documents from each decommissioned system. Information can be formatted for entry into an existing data repository system or we can use Twilight, a web-based repository system available for custom implementation.
Twilight Data Repository
Twilight is a web-based data repository that can hold any number of different systems and millions of patient documents. This repository solution is available to work within the organizations intranet to insure protected health information is never out of your control. Some features of Twilight include:
- Multiple decommissioned systems can be archived in one application
- Common repository access reduces the required employee expertise on decommissioned systems
- Common search features for multiple decommissioned making staff training simple
- Integrated Security allowing Twilight security to be managed using common network security groups
- Easy to use document selection process for completing Release of Information
- Documents to be released are stored in individual or packaged PDF files
- Security logging to monitor employee access to patient information
Click to Request Twilight Demo
Where to Begin
Atlanticon will evaluate each system requiring decommission to devise a plan for information extraction. Monitoring patient and document inventory as information moves from the decommissioned system to the repository is of paramount importance to insure all information is secured before shutting down source system.